As the temperatures cool off, warm up with some hearty fall meals. Comfort foods can easily be made with healthy ingredients that still fit your budget. Below is a recipe for chicken pot pie that has only 3 grams of fat per serving; Compare that to the small frozen pies you can buy at the grocery store some of which can have as many as 22 grams of fat per serving! Add some baked apples, a side salad, and a cold glass of low-fat milk to complete this perfect for fall menu.
⅔ cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1 cup cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
1 (10¾ ounce) can low fat, condensed, cream of chicken soup
1 cup reduced fat baking mix
½ cup milk
- Wash hands and any cooking surfaces.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix vegetables, chicken and soup in ungreased, 9-inch pie plate
- Stir baking mix, milk and egg in a mixing bowl with fork until blended. Pour over vegetables, chicken and soup mixture in pie plate.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool 5 minutes and serve.
Makes 6 servings
Serving size: 1/6 of pie
Source: USDA Recipe Finder
Nutrition facts per serving:
180 calories; 3 g total fat; 1 g saturated
fat; 0 g trans fat; 55 mg cholesterol;
420 mg sodium; 25 g carbohydrate;
2 g fiber; 13 g protein; 10% Daily Value
of vitamin A; 2% Daily Value of vitamin
C; 15% Daily Value of calcium; 8% Daily
Value of iron