Did you know? More than half of the weight in the human body is water! Water is important for many of the body’s activities including nutrient transportation, digestion, waste removal and organ protection. It would only make sense that the best beverage choice for a healthy body is…water!
We know water can get boring, so we would like to share some ways to spice it up!
Go from this…
Adding fruit and vegetables is a great way to add flavor and nutrients to your water. Try lemon and mint, or strawberry and cucumber! Something as simple as drinking out of a fun cup or straw can motivate you to drink more through out the day.
Other healthy beverage choices include:
-100% Fruit juices
-Low-fat or Non-fat milk
Beverages containing caffeine can cause fluid loss in the body. The biggest caffeine culprits are coffee, tea, soft drinks, and energy drinks. These can leave the body feeling dehydrated and sluggish.
- Whole milk- try switching to non-fat or skim milk.
- Coffee or caffeinated drinks- it is recommended that you consume no more than 200 mg of caffeine per day. Mild coffee in moderation is okay, but a form of herbal or green tea would be a good substitute for your morning routines.
Remember, everything in moderation. See our flavored water recipe below!
Strawberry Cucumber Water
1 cup frozen or fresh strawberries
1 small cucumber
2 quarts water
- Place strawberries in the bottom of a 2 quart or larger pitcher.
- With the back of a wooden spoon, lightly mash the strawberries to release the flavor.
- Thinly slice cucumber and place in a pitcher. Fill pitcher with water and mix to combine the fruit and water.
- Chill several hours or overnight for best results. Serve over ice and enjoy!