We love this “Easy Italian Ziti” recipe for a week night dinner. Make it a meal with a green salad, diced apples and low-fat milk. This is also the type of dish that only gets better as left overs!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (24 oz.) jar of low sodium spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 oz. whole-wheat ziti or penne pasta cooked according to package directions
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350* F.
- In a large skillet, saute beef until it browns. Drain excess fat. Add spaghetti sauce and heat through.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, parsley and garlic powder. Add cooked ziti and mix well.
- Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1 cup of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the dish. Spoon ziti mixture into pan and top with remaining sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes 8 servings
Serving size: 1/8 of prepared recipe
Cost per serving: $1.69
Cost per recipe: $14.10
Nutritional facts per serving: 301 Calories; 9g fat; 3.5g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 75mg cholesterol; 350 mg sodium; 32g carbohydrates; 3g fiber; 9g sugar; 26g protein; 15% daily value of vitamin A; Daily value of vitamin C; 20% daily value of calcium; 15% daily value of iron.
Source: Sarah Brandl, Extension Specialist for Kentucky Nutrition Education Program, University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service.