During a heat wave or if you are trying to cut down on the use of your stove and oven during the summer, there are some creative ways to eat healthy without turning on the heat!
Here are some of our favorite ways to keep cool in the kitchen:
- Make a yogurt parfait. Layer fruits, granola and yogurt for breakfast or a snack
- Try a veggie dip! Take a cup of non-fat Greek yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and mix together. You can also use a half packet of a dry dressing mix and combine with the yogurt. Dip carrots, celery, broccoli, snap peas or any other veggie that you like.
- Overnight oats – like these! https://whatscooking.fns.usda.gov/recipes/myplate-cnpp/overnight-oatmeal-berries
- Broccoli salad – https://whatscooking.fns.usda.gov/recipes/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap/broccoli-salad
- It might sound a little different but the flavors go really well together – try making apple tuna sandwiches for lunch or dinner! https://whatscooking.fns.usda.gov/recipes/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap/apple-tuna-sandwiches