4 Ingredients+ 5 ways to use it + $1.09 per recipe!
This quick and easy recipe will leave you looking for more ways to use these carrots in new and exciting dishes! They pair great with several of our Calendar recipes and with 4 simple ingredients, you are sure to add these to your cooking routine. Not only are they healthy and delicious, they are filling! Substitute them for the carbohydrate at dinner and boost your Vitamin A!
5 Ways to use it!
- Make it a meal! Pair with baked fish, brown rice, a pear and low fat milk.
- Substitute carrots for the sweet potato in our “Garlic Pork”
- Serve on top of our “Crunchy Fall Salad”
- Eat left overs for lunch along with a sandwich or soup.
- Puree carrots and it turns into nutritious baby food!
- 1 pound fresh carrots
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1\4 teaspoon salt
- 1\2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Slice carrots crosswise on the diagonal about 1\2 inch thick. Make sure all pieces are approximately the same size to ensure even cooking.
- Place carrots on prepared baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle salt and Thyme over carrots and cover with foil.
- Roast 5-7 minutes covered. Remove foil and continue roasting for 10-15 minutes, until caramelized and tender.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Serving size: ¾ cup
Cost per recipe: $1.09
Cost per serving: $0.27
Nutrition facts per serving:
80 calories; 4g total fat; 0.5g saturated fat; Og trans fat; Omg cholesterol; 220mg sodium; 11g carbohydrate; 3g fiber; sugar; 1g protein; 380% Daily Value of vitamin A; 10% Daily Value of vitamin C; 4% Daily Value of calcium; 2% Daily Value of iron.
Source: Brooke Jenkins-Howard Curriculum Coordinator for Kentucky Nutrition Education Program, University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service.