Apple Spinach Salad
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- 4 large Gala apples
- 2 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted (see directions below)
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- Wash and dry fresh spinach. Tear into small pieces.
- Core and chop apples into bite sized pieces. Do not peel.
- Mix together spinach, apples, cheese, almonds and raisins.
- In a small bowl, stir together dressing ingredients and pour over salad mixture. Toss and serve.
To toast almonds: Spread almonds evenly in a small saute pan, over medium high heat for about 30 seconds, stir. Continue to heat almonds for an additional 3-5 minutes, stirring often for even browning. Remove from heat when almonds are fragrant and turning golden brown around the edges. Immediately pour almonds into a dish to cool.
150 calories, 6g fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 50mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 17g sugar, 3g protein.