Servings:Makes 6 servingsServing Size:2 rolls each
- 12 cabbage leaves
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cover cabbage leaves with boiling water. Let stand until leaves are limp, about 4 minutes. Drain. When cool, trim away excess ridge on leaf for easier rolling.
- Mix beef, rice, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, garlic salt, pepper, basil, oregano, onions and green pepper. Put 1/3 cup in each leaf, starting at leaf end; roll, tucking in the sides.
- Place seam side down in a 9-by-11-inch baking dish.
- Mix remaining tomato sauce with the sugar, pour over rolls.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Remove cabbage rolls from baking dish, pour juice in a saucepan.
- Mix cornstarch and water; stir into saucepan. Heat and stir until mixture boils, cook 1 minute.
- Serve sauce with cabbage rolls.
Source: Plate it up! Kentucky Proud Project.
190 calories; 4g fat; 1.5g saturated fat; 40mg cholesterol; 550mg sodium; 24g carbohydrate; 6g fiber; 9g sugars; 18g protein.