Chicken and Dumpling SoupReceta en Español
Here’s a healthier version of your mom’s classic. Serve it anytime you need a little home lovin’.
- 2/3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 4 carrots
- 3 stalks of celery
- 3 medium potatoes
- ½ yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (32-ounce) boxes of low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen dumplings
- Salt and pepper, optional
- Chop vegetables into bite sized cubes; chop onion and garlic finely.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté the onion and garlic until tender.
- Add the carrots, celery and potatoes and stir for a few minutes, being careful not to burn them.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Add dumplings, a few at a time.
- Turn down heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring often, until the vegetables have softened.
- Add chicken and raise heat to medium-low for 10 minutes.
- Add frozen peas during the last five minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Make it a Meal
- Chicken and Dumpling Soup
- Apple wedges
- Low-fat milk
- Save money by cooking the chicken at home and making your own broth.
- Pay attention to hunger and fullness cues before, during, and after meals. Use them to know when to eat and when you have had enough.
Nutrition facts per serving: 220 calories; 5 g total fat; 1 g saturated fat; 0 g trans fat; 35 mg cholesterol; 200 mg sodium; 23 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 19 g protein; 50% Daily Value of vitamin A; 24% Daily Value of vitamin C; 8% Daily Value of calcium; 10% Daily Value of iron