Chowder Made EasyReceta en Español
Servings:4Serving Size:1 cupRecipe Cost:$5.11Cost per Serving:$1.27
You’ll think you’re eating on the New England Coast when you take a bite of this ‘chowdah’.
- 1 pound cod (or other white fish) fillet, frozen
- 2 tablespoons butter or cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups raw potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Melt butter or oil in a large saucepan.
- Add onion, celery, potatoes, carrots, corn (if using), water, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Cut cod fillets into bite size pieces.
- Add fish and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Add milk, stir and cook until heated through but do not allow the chowder to boil.
Source: Adapted from Tammy Kelly, North Carolina Cooperative Extension
Nutrition facts per serving: 310 calories; 9g total fat; 4g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 65mg cholesterol; 730mg sodium; 21g carbohydrate; 3g fiber; 8g sugar; 28g protein; 10% Daily Value of vitamin D; 15% Daily Value of calcium; 10% Daily Value of iron; 20% Daily Value of potassium