Creamed Cabbage Soup
This cabbage soup is hearty and filling. It’s the perfect choice for an easy dinner option when the snow is blowing.
- 2 (14½ ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded (about 6 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 (12 ounce) can non-fat evaporated milk
- 1½ cups skim milk
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine broth, celery, cabbage, onion, carrot and potatoes; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add flour, salt, pepper and thyme; stir to form a smooth paste.
- Combine milks; gradually add to flour mixture, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir until thickened; continue cooking 2 minutes longer.
- Gradually stir into vegetable mixture.
- Add ham and heat through.
- Garnish with parsley.
Make it a Meal
- Creamed Cabbage Soup
- Toasted French bread
- Low-fat milk
Set a family rule that no one can spend more than 2 hours per day playing video games, watching TV and using the computer. Do more together as an active family.
Nutrition facts per serving: 230 calories; 8 g total fat; 1.5 g saturated fat; 0 g trans fat; 15 mg cholesterol; 720 mg sodium; 28 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 12 g sugar; 16 g protein