Crunchy Fall Salad
Servings:8Serving Size:3/4 cupRecipe Cost:$5.34Cost per Serving:$0.67
This is so good, you’ll want to serve it on Thanksgiving as well.
- ½ cup walnuts or pecans
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup red or white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 slices bacon, cooked, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- In a small skillet, toast nuts over medium heat until they become slightly brown and fragrant. Set aside.
- Remove outer tough leaves and ends of Brussels sprouts. With a sharp knife, slice sprouts crosswise into thin slices.
- In a medium bowl, combine nuts, Brussels sprouts, cranberries, onion and bacon.
- In a separate microwave-safe bowl, whisk together mustard, oil and honey. Heat in the microwave for 10-20 seconds on high heat or until warm. Pour dressing over salad. Serve immediately.
Source: Brooke Jenkins-Howard, Curriculum Coordinator for Kentucky Nutrition Education Program, University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service
Nutrition facts per serving: 160 calories; 9g total fat; 1.5g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 5mg cholesterol; 105mg sodium; 17g carbohydrate; 3g fiber; 11g sugar; 4g protein; 6% Daily Value of vitamin A; 80% Daily Value of vitamin C; 2% Daily Value of calcium; 2% Daily Value of iron