Easy Chicken and Veggie Stir-Fry with RiceReceta en Español
Servings:Makes 4 servingsServing Size:2 cupsRecipe Cost:$5.35Cost per Serving:$1.34
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 16- to 24-ounce package of stir-fry vegetables, frozen
- 1/2 cup sweet and sour sauce (packaged or using the recipe at the end)
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked using package directions or use our recipe
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped (cooked frozen strips/pieces, cooked leftovers, or cook your own with our recipe)
- Wash hands with warm water and soap, scrubbing for at least 20 seconds.
- If needed, locate the recipes for How to Cook Chicken and How to Cook Rice, and prepare both for this recipe.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon canola oil, and allow to heat.
- Place the package of frozen vegetables in the skillet and stir-fry vegetables quickly, moving them around the pan continuously. Cook until crisp-tender.
- Add 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken, and 1/2 cup sweet and sour sauce. Stir to combine, and cook until heated through.
- Turn off the stovetop when done cooking.
- Serve over brown rice.
- Store leftovers in a covered container within 2 hours. Eat within 3-4 days.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- In a small bowl, or jar, combine all ingredients.
- Whisk or shake ingredients until combined. Set aside until ready to
use in recipe.
Make it a Meal
East Chicken and Veggie Stir-fry with Rice
Source: Healthy Choices for Everybody Curriculum : Brooke Jenkins, Extension Specialist and Rosie Allen, Area Nutrition Agent, University of Kentucky Nutrition Education Program.
340 calories; 7g fat; 1g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 60mg cholesterol; 230mg sodium; 44g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 9g sugar; 0g added sugar; 25g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin D; 6% Daily Value of calcium; 10% Daily Value of iron; 6% Daily Value of potassium.