Enchilada RiceReceta en Español
Servings:6 Serving Size:1 cupRecipe Cost:$8.56Cost per Serving:$1.43
- 1 pound lean ground beef or lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup onion, diced or 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1, 14-ounce can no-salt-added whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon cumin or chili powder
- 1, 10-ounce can enchilada sauce
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked using package directions or our recipe
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro minced (optional)
- Wash hands with warm water and soap, scrubbing for at least 20 seconds.
- Prepare 2 cups of brown rice or use leftover rice. If needed, locate the recipe for How to Cook Rice.
- Dice 1/2 cup onion using a knife and cutting board.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat, and add 1 pound of ground beef and 1/2 cup diced onion.
- After handling the raw ground beef, wash hands with warm water and soap, scrubbing for at least 20 seconds.
- Break the meat up with a mixing spoon and move around the pan. Be sure it is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (about 10 minutes).
- Using a colander, drain the mixture, being sure not to pour the fat down the sink. Return the beef and onion mixture back to the skillet. Throw grease in the trash after it has cooled.
- Open and drain the can of corn.
- Add drained corn, 1 tablespoon cumin or chili powder, and 1 can enchilada sauce to the skillet. Stir well. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- If using cilantro, rinse under water to get rid of any dirt. While the beef mixture is simmering, chop cilantro.
- Turn off heat and remove skillet. Stir in 2 cups cooked brown rice.
- Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese; cover with aluminum foil and let sit for 5 minutes. Sprinkle cilantro on top before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours. Eat within 3-4 days.
Make it a Meal
Complete your plate with kiwi and skim milk.
Source: Healthy Choices for Everybody Curriculum : Adapted from United States Department of Agriculture, What's Cooking USDA Mixing Bowl, March 2015. www.usda.gov/whatscooking
360 calories; 14 fat; 6g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 75mg cholesterol; 540mg sodium; 31g carbohydrate; 4g fiber; 6g sugar; 0g added sugar; 28g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin D; 8% Daily Value of calcium; 20% Daily Value of iron; 10% Daily Value of potassium.