Game Stuffed Peppers
- 6 medium bell peppers
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground venison, elk, or beef
- 1 tablespoon salt-free herb blend
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 IS-ounce can no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- Wash hands with warm water and soap, scrubbing for at least 20 seconds, especially after handling raw meat.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Gently scrub peppers with a clean vegetable brush under cool running water.
- Cut off curved top of pepper. Remove stem only and throw away. Dice remaining part of pepper top.
- Scoop out and discard seeds and pith from bottom part of each pepper. Preheat a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add olive oil to the skillet. Saute the diced pepper and 011ion for 3 to S minutes, until they begin to soften. Add ground venison, garlic, salt-free herb blend, pepper, and oregano. Cook 3 to S minutes longer. Stir often.
- Add the tomato sauce and rice to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Fill peppers with rice and meat mixture. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 to 40 _!llinufes, or until peppers are soft and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately. Store leftovers in the refrigerator within 2 hours.
280 calories; 9g total fat; 3.Sg saturated fat; Og trans fat; 75mg cholesterol; 380mg sodium; 25g carbohydrate; 4g dietary fiber; 9g total sugars; Og added sugar; 26g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin D; 15% Daily Value of calcium; 30% daily value of iron; 6% Daily Value of potassium.