Hearty Lentil and Sausage Soup
Winter will lose its grip on you after a bowl of this hearty soup!
- ¹⁄3 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 8 ounces dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced, no-salt-added tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place sausage in a large stock pot. Cook over medium heat until evenly browned. Drain excess fat in a colander.
- Return sausage to pot and add onion, celery, carrots and minced garlic.Sauté vegetables until tender.
- Stir in lentils and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Slow cooker directions:
- Place sausage in a skillet on the stovetop. Cook over medium heat until evenly browned. Drain excess fat in a colander.
- In a 6 quart slow cooker, stir together all ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Note: You can use any color lentils(one color or a variety) in this dish.
Nutrition facts per serving: 350 calories; 9g total fat; 3g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 20mg cholesterol; 470mg sodium; 47g carbohydrate; 12g fiber; 8g sugar; 19g protein; 140% Daily Value of vitamin A; 35% Daily Value of vitamin C; 8% Daily Value of calcium; 25% Daily Value of iron