Kentucky Red Velvet Muffins
Servings:Makes 12 muffinsServing Size:1 muffin
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Zest of one orange
- Juice of one orange (about 4 tablespoons)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked beets
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, beat sugar, butter, and orange zest until smooth.
- Add orange juice, eggs, applesauce, and vanilla to the sugar mixture; beat until smooth.
- Stir about one-third of the flour mixture into the sugar mixture to fully incorporate it into a batter; repeat with remaining flour mixture in two even additions.
- Fold in beets and chocolate chips.
- Divide batter equally into the lined muffin cups using a 1/4-cup measuring scoop.
- Bake about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing muffins to cool completely on a wire rack.
Source: Plate it up! Kentucky Proud Project.
170 calories, 7g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 40mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 26g total carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 15g total sugars, 12g added sugars, 4g protein, 0% DV vitamin D, 2% DV calcium, 6% DV iron, 4% DV potassium.