Lentil Taco Filling
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 4 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano (optional)
- 1 ¼ cups low-sodium broth (any flavor)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano, if desired. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are tender, 20 to 30 minutes for brown lentils, Add water if necessary to keep the lentils just covered with liquid.
- Uncover; cook until mixture thickens and most of the water is gone, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add salt, if desired.
- Use for tacos, wraps or salad.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Make it a Meal
Use this filling for tacos, salads, and quesadillas or try it in a burrito!
Nutrition facts per serving: 180 calories; 8g total fat; 1g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 0mg cholesterol; 130mg sodium; 20g total carbohydrate; 10g dietary fiber; 3g total sugar; 0g added sugar; 7g protein; 0% Daily Value vitamin D; 4% Daily Value calcium; 15% Daily Value iron; 2% Daily Value potassium.