Mac and Cheese Surprise
Everyone loves this updated classic comfort food!
- 1 large summer squash, chopped
- 1 ½ cups elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon alI-purpose flour
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon Neufchatel cheese (reduced-fat cream cheese)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a covered vegetable steamer or saucepan with boiling water, steam squash for 7 minutes or until tender. Drain and place squash in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth and set aside.
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions and drain.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and whisk nonstop for 1 minute. Gradually add milk and stir until bubbly.
- Add squash puree to the milk mixture and stir until combined. Add Neufchatel cheese, ¼ cup cheddar cheese and salt. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour sauce over macaroni and stir until coated. Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese on top and serve.
Nutrition facts per serving: 190 calories; 6g total fat; 3.5g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 15mg cholesterol; 460mg sodium; 25g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 3g sugar; 8g protein; 6% Daily Value of vitamin A; 15% Daily Value of vitamin C; 10% Daily Value of calcium; 6% Daily Value of iron