Mom’s Macaroni Salad
This recipe is every bit as good as your mom used to make…only healthier.
- 2 cups macaroni, cooked according to directions on box or bag
- 2 stalks celery, chopped in medium size pieces
- ½ small onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, chopped in medium size pieces
- ½ cup pickle relish or chopped pickles
- 2 hardboiled eggs, chopped (optional)
- Mix salad ingredients in a large container. Leave room to mix in the dressing.
- Mix dressing in small bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Add dressing to mixed salad ingredients.
- Keep refrigerated.
- ¼ cup salad dressing or mayo
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice, add small amounts until desired consistency
1 % milk may be substituted for the pickle juice. Doing so will decrease the sodium content.
Think about canning, freezing, or drying extra produce from the garden or farmers market. Contact your county Extension office for information and training to help you.
Nutrition facts per serving: 100 calories; 3.5g total fat; 0.5g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 30mg cholesterol; 125g sodium; 15g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 1g sugar; 2g protein; 2% Daily Value of vitamin A; 15% Daily Value of vitamin C; 0% Daily Value of calcium; 2% Daily Value of iron