Morning Carrot Muffins
Servings:Makes 18 muffinsServing Size:1 muffin
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 finely chopped medium apple
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 18 muffin cups with nonstick spray or line them with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together flours, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir in carrots, raisins, nuts, coconut, and apple.
- In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Stir wet ingredients into the flour mixture until just moistened. Do not overmix.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Make it a Meal
Pair with low-fat milk or fruit.
Source: • www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org • http://www.wafarmtoschool.org • ID-128, Home Vegetable Gardening in Kentucky, Cooperative Extension Service, University of Kentucky, College of Agriculture, Food and Environment, 2015. • Dr. Richter’s Fresh Produce Guide, Integrated Marketing Services, 2012. • FCS3-569, Increasing Powerhouse Vegetables - The Health Benefits of Dark Yellow and Orange Vegetables, Ingrid Adams, Nutrition and Food Science, University of Kentucky, 2013. Plate it up! Kentucky Proud Project.
170 calories, 6g fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 30mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 16g sugars, 10g added sugars, 3g protein