Red, White and Blueberry Muffins
Not just for Fourth of July celebrations, these muffins are delicious any time of the year.
- 1 egg
- ½ cup skim milk
- ½ cup non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cup fresh (or frozen unsweetened) blueberries, whole
- 1 cup fresh (or frozen unsweetened) strawberries, chopped
- Position rack in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, milk, yogurt, oil and lemon zest.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt onto the liquid ingredients. Using a fork, stir very lightly, just until ingredients are combined.
- Gently fold in the berries.
- Pour the batter into a muffin pan coated with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over muffins.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool at least 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Make it a Meal
- Red, White and Blueberry Muffin
- Scrambled egg
- Low-fat milk
Eggs are a low cost source of high quality protein. One egg contains 60 percent daily value of cholesterol. Egg yolk contains all of the cholesterol. Egg whites are cholesterol free.
Nutrition facts per serving: 190 calories; 5g total fat; 0.5g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 15mg cholesterol; 280mg sodium; 33g carbohydrate; 1g fiber; 4g protein; 2% Daily Value of vitamin A; 15% Daily Value of vitamin C; 15% Daily Value of calcium; 8% Daily Value of iron