- 1 (5-6 pound) whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- Salt and pepper to your liking
- Wash hands with warm soap and water, scrubbing for at least 20 seconds.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the giblets and neck from the chicken. Often, these parts are packaged and left in the body cavity.
- Rub the entire chicken with butter. Wash hands after handling raw poultry.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the garlic and lemon halves into the chicken’s body cavity. Tie the drumsticks (leg) together with a piece of clean kitchen string or use foil to hold together.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan or oven-proof skillet. Bake for 1 hour or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F on a meat thermometer. Let the chicken rest at least 10 minutes.
- Remove string. Carve and serve.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator within 2 hours.
Nutrition facts per serving: 310 calories; 9g total fat; 2.5g saturated fat; 180mg cholesterol; 250 mg sodium; 0g total carbohydrate; 0g dietary fiber; 0g total sugars; 0g added sugars; 53g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin D; 2% Daily Value of calcium; 10% Daily Value of iron; 10% Daily Value of potassium