The sauce in this bar comes from applesauce. With cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, what’s not to love?
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix shortening, sugar and applesauce until creamy.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg mix together until well combined.
- Stir in raisins, nuts and vanilla.
- Spread batter in a greased 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until top is lightly browned.
Can be topped with fresh fruits and berries or powdered sugar.
To be a more active family, involve kids in yard work and other active chores around the house. Have them help you with raking, weeding, planting or vacuuming.
Nutrition facts per serving: 130 calories; 4.5 g total fat; 1 g saturated fat; 1.5 g trans fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 240 mg sodium; 23 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 1 g protein; 4% Daily Value of calcium; 4% Daily Value of iron