Simple Saucy Bars
Servings:24Serving Size:1½ x 3-inch bar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir with a spoon until well mixed.
- Prepare a 9×13 inch pan by spraying the inside lightly with cooking spray.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Self-rising flour: add 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt to 2 cups all-purpose flour.
Whole-wheat flour: add 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt to 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup whole-wheat flour.
Can be topped with fresh fruits and berries or powdered sugar.
Make it a Meal
- Baked pork chops
- Scalloped cauliflower
- Green beans
- Saucy Bars
- Low-fat milk
Source: Adapted from Diana Drury and Barbara Wakefield, Anderson County Extension Volunteers
To be a more active family, involve kids in yard work and other active chores around the house. Have them help you with raking, weeding, planting or vacuuming.
Nutrition facts per serving: 130 calories; 5 g total fat; 0 g saturated fat; 0 g trans fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 125 mg sodium; 22 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 13 g sugar; 1 g protein; 4% Daily Value of calcium; 6% Daily Value of iron