Sizzling Chicken and Rice
Servings:4Serving Size:1 cup chicken and vegetables and ½ cup rice
Serve this Chinese style pineapple chicken over rice for an easy dinner that everyone will love!
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 16 ounces skinless, boneless chicken, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 3 cups chopped raw vegetables (such as broccoli florets, red bell pepper, carrots, onion, etc.)
- 8 ounces canned pineapple chunks, with juice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- In a small bowl, add cornstarch and stir in next 6 ingredients. Mix to combine. Set bowl of sauce mixture aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and heat. Place the chicken in the pan and cook until done, about 5 to 6 minutes. Push chicken to the side of the skillet.
- Add vegetables and sauté until slightly tender. Push vegetables to the side of the skillet.
- Pour sauce mixture into the center of skillet. Leaving other ingredients at the sides of the pan, stir sauce until it thickens.
- Add pineapple and juice to the skillet and stir to combine all ingredients.
- Reduce to medium-low heat and cover with lid. Continue cooking for five minutes. Serve immediately over cooked brown rice.
For a quick version of this meal, substitute ½ cup prepared sweet and sour sauce for the first 7 ingredients and use a16 ounce bag of frozen stir-fry veggies in place of the fresh vegetables.
Source: Rosie Allen, Area Nutrition Agent for Kentucky Nutrition Education Program, University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service
Nutrition facts per serving: 440 calories; 8g total fat; 1g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 75mg cholesterol; 540mg sodium; 60g carbohydrate; 5g fiber; 19g sugar; 31g protein; 80% Daily Value of vitamin A; 130% Daily Value of vitamin C; 4% Daily Value of calcium; 10% Daily Value of iron