Sloppy Garden JoesReceta en Español
Servings:8Serving Size:1 sandwich Recipe Cost:$10.56 Cost per Serving:$1.32
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded or diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound 94% lean ground turkey (or chicken)
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 6-ounce can mushroom pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 8 whole wheat buns
- Saute onions, carrots, green pepper and ground turkey in a large frying pan over medium heat for 10 minutes or until the turkey juices run clear; stirring often to break-up ground turkey.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, and barbecue sauce and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until thick.
- Serve on toasted or plain whole wheat buns.
Make it a Meal
Complete your plate with roasted sweet potato slices, apple slices, and milk.
Source: Healthy Choices for Everybody Curriculum : United States Department of Agriculture, What's Cooking USDA Mixing Bowl, March 2015. www.usda.gov/whatscooking
280 calories; 7g fat; 1.5g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 25mg cholesterol; 410mg sodium; 37g carbohydrate; 3g dietary fiber; 9g total sugar; 21g protein.