Slow Cooker Bean SoupReceta en Español
This may be the easiest soup to make in the universe. Simply put the ingredients in a slow cooker in the morning and come home to a hot dinner. Serve with crusty bread or Kentucky Sweet Potato Bread.
- 9 cups no salt added chicken broth
- 1 package (16 to 20 ounces) dried beans (2¼ cups), sorted and rinsed
- 4 medium carrots, chopped (2 cups)
- 3 medium celery stalks, chopped (1½ cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- In 5- to 6- quart slow cooker, mix all ingredients except the tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on low heat 8-10 hours.
- Stir in tomatoes and increase heat setting to high. Cook 15 minutes or until hot.
1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning may be used for the ½ teaspoon oregano, ½ teaspoon basil, and ½ teaspoon garlic powder. But this switch will most likely raise the sodium content. Vegetable broth may be used for the chicken broth to make a vegetarian dish. If regular chicken broth is used, leave out the salt.
Make it a Meal
- Slow Cooker Bean Soup
- Corn bread
- Fresh orange
- Low-fat milk
- Can make ahead and freeze into single servings.
- Broccoli makes this dish a great source of vitamins A and C.
- Eat more vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and fat-free or 1% milk and dairy products. Make them the basis for meals and snacks.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 170 calories; 2 g total fat; 0 g saturated fat; 0 g trans fat; 20 mg cholesterol; 290 mg sodium; 27 g total carbohydrate; 4 g dietary fiber; 4 g sugars; 12 g protein; 70% Daily Value of vitamin A; 15% Daily Value of vitamin C; 6% Daily Value of calcium; 15% Daily Value of iron