Slow Cooker Smoky Black-Eyed PeasReceta en Español
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 small or 1 large jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, sorted and rinsed
- 1 (12 ounce) package smoked turkey sausage, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 small bay leaves
- 7 cups water
- Wash hands with warm water and soap, scrubbing for at least 20 seconds.
- Rinse produce under cool running water and gently scrub using a clean vegetable brush before chopping.
- Add all ingredients to a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or until peas are tender, adding more water if needed.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve over hot, cooked brown rice, if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Stovetop Option: Sauté chopped vegetables in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Add all remaining ingredients, increasing water to 8 cups. Bring mixture to a full boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 1 hour or until peas are tender.
180 calories; 3g total fat; 1g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 20mg cholesterol; 240mg sodium; 26g total carbohydrate; 4g dietary fiber; 4g total sugars; 0g added sugars; 13g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin D; 4% Daily Value of calcium; 20% Daily Value of iron; 10% Daily Value of potassium