Slow Cooker Turkey and Beans
This meal is light and flavorful. Using a slow cooker means you get to add the ingredients in the morning…and come home to a hot dinner ready to go.
- 6 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) bag navy beans (2 cups), sorted, rinsed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (1½ to 2¼ pound) package turkey thighs, skin removed
- 1½ cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat water to boiling over medium-high heat. Add navy beans. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered 10 minutes. Drain; rinse with cold water. Place beans in slow cooker; add broth.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir together olive oil, ½ cup parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, garlic powder, ½ teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Press mixture firmly onto turkey thighs. Place turkey on top of beans in slow cooker. Cover, cook on low heat setting 7 to 9 hours or until beans are tender and turkey pulls apart easily with fork.
- Remove turkey from slow cooker. Increase heat setting to high. Stir green beans and remaining 1 teaspoon of salt into slow cooker. Cover; cook 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are hot. Meanwhile, remove turkey from bones. To serve, place bean mixture in shallow bowls; top with turkey, and sprinkle with remaining parsley.
- Enjoy moderate physical activity for at least 30 minutes each day.
- Limit calories from solid fat and sugar to 15% or less.
- Try to get 25 grams (women) to 38 grams (men) of fiber daily.
Nutrition facts per serving: 480 calories; 14 g total fat; 2.5 g saturated fat; 0 g trans fat; 90 mg cholesterol; 1080 mg sodium; 49 g carbohydrate; 19 g fiber; 2 g sugar; 39 g protein