Snappy Pea Salad
Servings:8Serving Size:1/2 cup
The simplicity of this recipe allows the taste of the fresh vegetables to be the star of the show.
- ½ pound sugar snap peas, remove strings and stems; cut in half crosswise
- 1 medium cucumber, cut in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds; slice thinly crosswise
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients until smooth.
- Add snap peas, cucumber, bell pepper, carrots and green onion to the bowl. Toss with dressing.
- Transfer mixture to a serving platter or bowl to serve. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve immediately.
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
You can also make the salad the night before and store in the refrigerator.
Make it a Meal
- Grilled salmon
- Snappy Pea Salad
- Fresh strawberries
- Seasoned brown rice
- Low-fat milk
Source: Brooke Jenkins-Howard, Curriculum Coordinator, Nutrition Education Programs, University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service
Fill half of your plate with fruits and vegetables. Visit your local farmers market for fresh produce in season.
Nutrition facts per serving: 180 calories; 12g total fat; 1g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 0mg cholesterol; 490mg sodium; 16g carbohydrate; 3g dietary fiber; 10g sugars; 3g protein; 90% Daily Value of vitamin A; 70% Daily Value of vitamin C; 4% Daily Value of calcium; 8% Daily Value of iron