Sorghum Gingerbread Pear Muffins
Servings:Makes 12 muffinsServing Size:1 muffin
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sorghum syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 pear, peeled, cored, and diced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg, buttermilk, sorghum syrup and applesauce until smooth.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and combine until the batter is just moistened.
- Gently fold in the diced pears.
- Fill the muffin cups with the mixture. They will be full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
Source: Plate it up! Kentucky Proud Project.
90 calories, 1g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 15mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 13g total sugars, 10g added sugars, 2g protein