Southern Fish in a Foil
This super simple recipe is nutritional and great tasting — and cuts down on ‘fish smell’ in the kitchen.
- 1 pound white fish, cut into 4 servings
- 1 medium lemon, cut half into thin slices and save the other half
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons Italian spices
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees F. Cut 4 (12-by- 20-inch) sheets of foil.
- Combine Italian spices, garlic powder, salt and pepper into a small bowl. Squeeze lemon and rub a couple of drops of hot sauce onto each fish filet. Then, rub the spice mixture on the fish filet.
- Place each piece of fish on one sheet of foil. Drizzle the remaining oil on the fish and top with lemon slices.
- Fold foil over fish, crimping edges tightly to seal packets. Remember to leave enough room for packets to expand.
- Place packets on a large baking sheet. Bake in oven for 9-11 minutes. Fish should be just opaque in center. You can test doneness by sticking a toothpick through the packet. It should slide through the fish easily. Carefully open packets; hot steam will escape.
Make it a Meal
- Fish in a Foil
- Steamed vegetables
- Orange sections
- Rice pilaf
- Low-fat milk
Women of childbearing age, children 6 years of age or younger, pregnant and nursing women and women who plan to become pregnant should follow advisories for eating locally caught fish found at http://fw.ky.gov/ FishBoatGuide/ Pages/General- Information.aspx#4
Nutrition facts per serving: 160 calories; 6g total fat; 1.5g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 60mg cholesterol; 320mg sodium; 1g carbohydrate; 0g fiber; 26g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin A; 4% Daily Value of vitamin C; 2% Daily Value of calcium; 4% Daily Value of iron