Streamlined Minestrone Soup
Servings:6Serving Size:1.5 cups
- 1 14-ounce can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup frozen vegetable mixture
- ½ cup small shell-shaped pasta or elbow macaroni
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- Combine tomatoes, beef broth, vegetables and pasta in a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium and cook until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Mix ground beef, 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and ground pepper thoroughly.
- Make 24 1-inch meatballs.
- Arrange in a single layer in a microwave-safe baking dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Vent one corner.
- Microwave on high setting for 3-4 minutes. Turn after 2 minutes. When done, the inside of the meatballs will be 160° F and will no longer be pink.
- Combine meatballs and hot tomato mixture. Stir.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with remaining Parmesan cheese.
Source: LEAP...for Health: (2002) Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program Calendar. Minestrone Soup https://russell.ca.uky.edu/files/streamlined_minestrone_soup.pdfj
NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING: 210 calories; 89 fat; 3.Sg saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 50mg cholesterol; 370mg sodium; 13g carbohydrate; 1g fiber; 4g sugar; 0g added sugars; 19g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin D; 4% Daily Value of calcium; 10% Daily Value of iron; 8% Daily Value of potassium.