Summer Squash Casserole
A great casserole for the summer months, you can assemble it in the morning, pull it out of the fridge and pop it in the oven at night. Great for when you’re out all day enjoying summer.
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small tomato, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black, ground pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- ½ cup shredded Italian cheese blend (2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 1½ to 2-quart shallow casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together onion, half of the thyme leaves, rice, oil, tomato, ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon of the pepper. Spoon into casserole; spread evenly. Alternatively layer zucchini and squash, overlapping slightly, on top of rice mixture. Sprinkle with remaining thyme and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Cover; bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered 10 to 12 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to turn golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Make it a Meal
- Baked pork chop
- Summer Squash Casserole
- Watermelon wedge
- Low-fat milk
Vitamin-packed summer squash can be eaten raw in a salad or with dip: stir-fried, steamed, grilled, roasted or baked. Choose a low-water cooking method and avoid over-cooking to retain all of the vitamins.
Nutrition facts per serving: 180 calories; 5g total fat; 1.5g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 5mg cholesterol; 310g sodium; 27g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 2g sugar; 4% Daily Value of vitamin A; 10% Daily Value of vitamin C; 10% Daily Value of calcium; 4% Daily Value of iron