Sweet & Spicy Butternut Squash
- 2 medium butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash squash and pierce the skin of each with a fork in several places.
- Place both squash in a microwave oven. Cook on high setting for 4-5 minutes.
- Place squash on a cutting board and cut 1/2 inch off both ends. Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds and pulp. Peel off the skin using a sharp vegetable peeler. Cut the squash into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Place the squash cubes in a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil, kosher salt, cayenne pepper and cinnamon. Toss to coat.
- Spread the seasoned squash cubes on a greased baking sheet.
- Roast for 40 minutes or until fork tender, turning after 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Warm honey in a microwavable dish and drizzle over the squash.
Source: Plate it up! Kentucky Proud Project.
60 calories; 1g fat; 0g saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 50mg sodium; 14g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 7g sugar; 1g protein.