Tasty Edible Insects
Servings:12Serving Size:2 snacks
- 6 celery stalks
- ½ cup hummus or pimento cheese
- 1 apple
- 48 mini chocolate chips
- 48 mini pretzel sticks
- 36 raisins
- 24 mini pretzel twists
- Cut each stalk of celery into 4 pieces, removing leaves.
- Fill the cavity of each celery piece with approximately one teaspoon of hummus or pimento cheese.
- Add two chocolate chips (or carrot shreds) for eyes on the end of each celery piece. Place pretzel sticks behind eyes to look like antenna (note: if too long, break in half).
- Quarter apple and remove core and seeds. Slice lengthwise into twelve, ¼-inch thick slices.
- On half of the celery pieces, make snails. Place an apple slice behind the antennae.
- On the other half of the celery pieces, make butterflies. Place two pretzel twists on either side of the “body” of celery insect. Add three raisins down the back, between the pretzel twists.
Source: Eat Smart to Play Hard: Brooke Jenkins, Extension Specialist, University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service
45 calories; 1g total fat; 0g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 0mg cholesterol; 50mg sodium; 8g total carbohydrate; 1g dietary fiber; 5g total sugars; 0g added sugars; 1g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin D; 2% Daily Value of calcium; 0% Daily Value of iron; 2% Daily Value of potassium