Tasty Taco Salad
- 8 ounces lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1, 15-ounce can no-salt added corn
- 1, 15-ounce can low-sodium black beans
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Wash hands with warm water and soap, scrubbing for at least 20 seconds.
- Rinse produce in a colander under cold running water. Gently scrub tomatoes with a vegetable brush.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 8 ounces of ground turkey and cook by breaking it up with a spoon.
- After handling the raw ground turkey, wash hands with warm water and soap, scrubbing for at least 20 seconds.
- Cook until ground turkey reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (about 10 minutes).
- Drain fat using a colander. Be sure not to drain fat directly into the sink. Return turkey to pan. Throw grease in the trash after it has cooled.
- Add 2 tablespoons chili powder and 2 teaspoons cumin to the turkey. Stir to combine, and let cool slightly.
- Chop 1 head of romaine lettuce. Dice one cup of tomato.
- Open, drain, and rinse 1 can of black beans.
- Open and drain 1 can of corn.
- In a large bowl, layer lettuce, ground turkey mixture, tomatoes, black beans, corn, 1 cup salsa, and 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese.
- Toss salad with tongs right before serving. Serve immediately.
- Cover, and store in the refrigerator within 2 hours. Eat within 3-4 days.
Make it a Meal
Tasty Taco Salad
Whole wheat baked tortilla chips
Vanilla yogurt topped with berries
240 calories; 8g fat; 3g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 35mg cholesterol; 590mg sodium; 30g carbohydrate; 10g fiber; 6g sugar; 0g added sugar; 17g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin D; 10% Daily Value of calcium; 20% Daily Value of iron; 15% Daily Value of potassium.