Servings:6Serving Size:1 regular sandwich or 2 sliders
Up you BBQ sandwich game with this lighter version using ground turkey. Serve with Fall Slaw.
- 1 pound ground turkey (can use beef)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (12 count) package whole-wheat slider buns
- In large skillet, over medium heat, cook ground turkey, oil and onion 10 minutes or until turkey is done.
- Drain off any liquids.
- Stir in ketchup, water, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Serve on whole-wheat slider buns.
Make it a Meal
- Turkey Barbeque
- Oven roasted potatoes
- Cole slaw
- Yogurt parfait
- Iced tea
Source: Elizabeth Buckner, Extension Specialist, University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service
- Twice a week build up your strength by lifting weights, doing push-ups and sit-ups, working with resistance bands or heavy gardening.
- Check with your local Cooperative Extension office to find the nearest farmers’ market.
Nutrition facts per serving: 200 calories; 9 g total fat; 2.5 g saturated fat; 0 g trans fat; 60 mg cholesterol; 360 mg sodium; 15 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 15 g protein; 6% Daily Value of vitamin A; 8% Daily Value of vitamin C; 2% Daily Value of calcium; 2% Daily Value of iron