Turnip Green Soup
Servings:6 servingsServing Size:1 cup
- 8 ounces, fresh turnip greens, chopped or ½ package, frozen turnip greens, thawed and chopped
- 8 ounces roasted turkey, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup fresh carrot, chopped
- 1 cup, potato, peeled and diced
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- 1 15 ounce can white beans
- 1 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- If using fresh greens, cook until tender.
- Chop fresh or frozen turnip greens, roasted turkey, onion, and carrot.
- Peel and dice potato and garlic clove.
- Place chopped vegetables and chopped roasted turkey in a large soup pot.
- Drain and rinse white beans.
- Add beans, chicken broth, salt, and 1 cup water or enough to cover all ingredients. Stir well.
- Place pot on stove and bring to a boil.
- Add red pepper flakes.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer one hour, stirring frequently.
Source: Plate it up! Kentucky Proud Project.
120 calories; 3.5g fat; 12g protein; 10g carbohydrate; 3g fiber; 30mg cholesterol; 420mg sodium.