Vegetarian Taco SoupReceta en Español
Servings:14Serving Size:1 cup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 can (46 ounces) no-salt added tomato juice
- 2 cans (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt added corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dry brown rice
- 1 packet reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 4 cups water
- Wash hands with warm water and soap, scrubbing for at least 20 seconds.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot on the stovetop over medium heat.
- Add diced onion and stir well.
- Cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes or until the onion starts to turn clear.
- Add remaining ingredient and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Just as you would a taco, top each bowl of soup with ingredients like cilantro, cheese, diced onion, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, jalapeno, hot sauce, or avocado.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Source: Andrea Wilde, Staff Support, Northern KY; and Martha Yount, Nutrition Education Specialist, University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension
Optional toppings: cilantro, cheese, diced onion, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, jalapeno, hot sauce, or avocado.
220 calories; 3.5g total fat; 0g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 0mg cholesterol; 340mg sodium; 40g total carbohydrate; 5g dietary fiber; 6g total sugars; 0g added sugars; 10g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin D; 6% Daily Value of calcium; 10% Daily Value of iron; 15% Daily Value of potassium.