Very Veggie Pozole (Hominy Stew)
This is a great choice when you’re craving Mexican food. Serve with corn bread or serve over rice.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ jalapeño, seeded and finely diced (optional)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 (29 ounce) can white or yellow hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup tomatillo salsa (may use regular salsa)
- 1 tablespoon salt-free southwest chipotle seasoning blend
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, garlic, celery and jalapeño (if using) for 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, peppercorns, bay leaf and carrots.
- Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add zucchini, hominy, beans, salsa, seasoning blend and cumin. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add lime juice and cilantro. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove peppercorns and bay leaf. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with toppings of choice.
Cooked, dried beans can be used in place of canned.
Finely shredded iceberg lettuce or cabbage, sliced radishes, diced onion, diced avocado, cojita cheese, tortilla chips, lime wedges and hot sauce.
Nutrition facts per serving: 230 calories; 6g total fat; 0.5g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 0mg cholesterol; 570mg sodium; 37g carbohydrate; 8g fiber; 5g sugar; 6g protein; 110% Daily Value of vitamin A; 40% Daily Value of vitamin C; 10% Daily Value of calcium; 15% Daily Value of iron