Wally Wildcat Big Blue Muffins
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 18-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or insert paper liners in muffin cups.
- Place 1 cup of the blueberries and 1 tablespoon sugar in a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat, mashing berries and stirring frequently, for about 6 minutes until mixture is thickened and reduced to about ¼ cup. Cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the remaining sugar, all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add eggs, oil, milk and vanilla. Whisk together the liquid ingredients. Use a rubber spatula to fold together the liquid and dry ingredients, just until moistened. Fold in the remaining blueberries.
- Divide in batter equally among the muffin cups, filling about two-thirds full.
- Spoon approximately 1/2 teaspoon of cooked berry mixture onto each cup of batter. Use a skewer or dinner knife to gently swirl
berry topping into the batter.
- Bake 17 to 19 minutes until muffin tops are golden. Cool muffin pans for several minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
180 calories; 7g total fat; 1g saturated fat; 20mg cholesterol; 220mg sodium; 27g carbohydrate; 1g dietary fiber; 14g total sugars; 11g added sugars; 3g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin D; 2% Daily Value of calcium; 6% Daily Value of iron; 2% Daily Value of potassium