Why serve regular cornbread when you can serve broccoli cornbread? All the same great taste — but with added nutritional goodness.
- ¼ cup margarine, melted
- ⅓ cup onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1½ cups fresh or cooked frozen broccoli, finely chopped
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 (8.5-ounce) box quick corn muffin mix
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, blend melted margarine, onion, salt, cheese, broccoli and eggs. Stir in muffin mix.
- Pour into greased 9-by-13-inch pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the top is a golden brown. Cool and cut into squares.
For thicker bread bake in a 9-inch round pan and add 5-7 minutes onto the suggested cooking time.
Make it a Meal
- Turkey chili
- Sliced apple
- Broccoli Cornbread
- Low-fat milk
Look for the word “whole” at the beginning of the ingredients list to make sure a product is a good source of whole grain. Brown “multi-grain” or “100% wheat” foods may not be whole-grain products.
Nutrition facts per serving: 90 calories; 6g total fat; 1.5g saturated fat; 0.5g trans fat; 60mg cholesterol; 240g sodium; 5g carbohydrate; 1g fiber; 2g sugar; 4g protein; 10% Daily Value of vitamin A; 20% Daily Value of vitamin C; 4% Daily Value of calcium; 2% Daily Value of iron