Cheesy Spinach and Rice
Servings:16Serving Size:1/16 of prepared recipeRecipe Cost:$7.67Cost per Serving:$0.48
This versatile recipe can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Your kids will love helping prepare it.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13- by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium size saucepan, steam spinach and chopped onion in 1 inch of water until onion is clear, about 3 minutes. Drain in a colander, pressing out the liquid with the back of a spoon.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, rice, cheese, eggs, milk, butter, salt, Worcestershire and thyme. Pour into baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the top is slightly browned.
Source: Sarah Brandl, Extension Specialist for Kentucky Nutrition Education Program, University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service
Nutrition facts per serving: 130 calories; 5g fat; 2.5g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 65mg cholesterol; 310mg sodium; 15g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 1g sugar; 8g protein; 25% Daily Value of vitamin A; 15% Daily Value of vitamin C; 15% Daily Value of calcium; 6% Daily Value of iron