Water Spinach and Mushroom Stir Fry
A traditional dish from Somalia.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup dried shrimp, rehydrated
- 3 small chili peppers (tabasco pepper, Burmese chili)
- 2 handfuls Enoki mushrooms, chopped from the ends (1/2 package)
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 3-4 handfuls or cups of water spinach, chopped into 4-5 inch pieces, stems separated and chopped
- Optional: 1/2 tablespoon of prepared vegetable powder or chicken bouillon
- Optional: Add oyster sauce or rice wine vinegar when cooking
- Wash hands with warm water and soap, scrubbing at least 20 seconds.
- In a 5-quart pot over medium heat, add olive oil, onions, garlic, and beef. Stir to combine and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and chicken bouillon cubes. Stir to combine.
- Once meat is fully cooked and reaches 145 degrees F using a food thermometer, add collard greens. Cook until the greens are soft and tender, about 5 minutes.
Nutrition facts per serving: 240 calories; 17g total fat; 3g saturated fat; 35mg cholesterol; 650mg sodium; 9g total carbohydrate; 5g dietary fiber; 2g total sugars; 0g added sugars; 16g protein; 0% Daily Value vitamin D; 20% Daily Value calcium; 10% Daily Value iron; 10% Daily Value potassium