A traditional dish from Somalia.
- 1/2 pound dried cowpeas, washed and drained
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 large red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cube of chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garam masala powder
- Wash hands with warm water and soap, scrubbing at least 20 seconds.
- Fill a 5-quart pot halfway with water. Place over medium heat. Add the dried cowpeas and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally.
- While the peas cook, place a separate 5-quart pot over medium heat. Add the oil, onions, potatoes, garlic, chicken bouillon cube, salt, and garam masala. Mix to combine.
- Once the peas have almost fully absorbed the water, about 7 minutes, add the vegetables to the peas.
- Mix occasionally for 10 minutes until everything is creamy and the potatoes are tender. Serve.
Nutrition facts per serving: 260 calories; 14g total fat; 2g saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 690mg sodium; 27g total carbohydrate; 4g dietary fiber; 3g total sugars; 0g added sugars; 8g protein; 0% Daily Value vitamin D; 4% Daily Value calcium; 15% Daily Value iron; 10% Daily Value potassium