Garden Fresh Tomato PizzaReceta en Español
- 2 large or 3 medium tomatoes, sliced into 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices and halved
- 1 (6.5-ounce) package pizza crust mix
- 2/3 cup low-fat ricotta cheese or low-fat, low-sodium cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried basil or 1/3 cup fresh, chopped
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- Black pepper
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Wash hands with warm water and soap, scrubbing for at least 20 seconds.
- Gently scrub the tomatoes and red onion with a clean vegetable brush under cool running water before preparing them.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Place a layer of paper towels on a baking sheet or tray and arrange tomato slices on top. Sprinklewith salt. Cover tomatoes with a layer of paper towels. Set aside to allow juices to draw out.
- Prepare crust according to package directions. Set aside to rise.
- In a small bowl, mix ricotta (or cottage) cheese, mozzarella cheese, garlic powder, and
dried basil. (If using fresh basil, refer to step 10.) Set aside.
- Prepare a pizza pan (or baking sheet) by spraying with nonstick cooking spray. Pat out the pizza crust to cover the bottom of the pan. Brush crust with olive oil. Place in the oven and bake for 8 minutes.
- 8. Remove crust from oven. Spread the cheese mixture in a thin layer on top of the crust. Add onion and tomatoes in layers on top of the pizza crust. Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
- If using fresh basil, sprinkle on top after pizza bakes. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar if desired.
- Allow the pizza to rest 5 minutes. Cut pizza into 6 slices. Serve hot.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator within 2 hours.
230 calories; 8g total fat; 3.5g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 20mg cholesterol; 320mg sodium; 27g total carbohydrate; 1g dietary fiber; 4g total sugars; 0g added sugars; 12g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin D; 20% Daily Value of calcium; 10% Daily Value of iron; 4% Daily Value of potassium.