Green Bean and Ham Soup
Servings:Makes 12 servingsServing Size:1 cup
- 4 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups russet potatoes, unpeeled and cubed
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 3 whole carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 pound fully cooked ham, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 9 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Place green beans, potatoes, onions, carrots, ham and the nine cups water into a large soup pot; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, about 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and half and half. Return to heat and bring to a simmer again.
- Combine corn starch and the 1/4 cup cold water in a small bowl.
- When simmer begins, combine the corn starch mixture into the soup and stir well. Allow the soup to remain on the heat for 5-7 more minutes while it thickens.
Source: Plate it up! Kentucky Proud Project.
140 calories; 4.5g fat; 2g saturated fat; 25mg cholesterol; 670mg sodium; 14g carbohydrate; 3g fiber; 3g sugar; 10g protein.