Loaded Butternut Squash
- 1 large butternut squash, cut in half and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground vevison, elk, or beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried chili powder; cumin, OR paprika
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper; diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 1/2 bunch green onions
- Wash hands with warm water and soap, scrubbing for at least 20seconds.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse all vegetables under cool running water before preparing.
- Place ,butternut squash on a baking sheet, cut sides up. Evenly drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over each piece.
- Roast in oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until squash is soft.
- While squash is roasting, heat a large skillet to medium-low and cook venison slowly. Cover pan to keep moisture from evaporating. Stir a few times during cooking to break meat apart.
- Add salt, pepper, and spice of your choosing to meat.
- When meat is almost fl!llY cooked, add onion, green pepper, and garlic powder. Cook until vegetables are soft.
- Add kale and cover with lid. Cook 5 minutes longer. Keep venison mixture on low heat until butternut squash is fully cooked.
- Scrape soft insides out of squash and place in a large bowl. Be careful not to rip squash skin. Set squash skins on serving dish.
- Add meat mixture to squash in bowl. Stir to combine.
- Refill squash skins with mixture.
- Trim ends of green onions and slice. Sprinkle green onions on top of filled squash skins.
- Serve immediately. Store leftovers in the refrigerator within 2 hours.
430 calories; 17g total fat; Sg saturated fat; Og trans fat; 75mg cholesterol; 710mg sodium; 48g total carbohydrate; 11g dietary fiber; 11g sugars; Og added sugars; 32g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin D; 20% Daily Value of calcium; 35% Daily Value of iron; 20% Daily Value of potassium.