Rice and Beans
A traditional dish from Somalia.
- 1/2 pound cowpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound rice, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cube of chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- Wash hands with warm water and soap, scrubbing for at least 20 seconds.
- If the peas are dry, boil them in 7 cups of water in a 5-quart pot. If the peas are wet, boil them in 4 cups of water.
- Let simmer for about 7 minutes. Stir occasionally. The peas are done when the water is mostly absorbed.
- Once the peas are cooked, add the dried rice, oil, chicken bouillon cube, and salt to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Let sit for 7 minutes or until rice is cooked. Serve.
Nutrition facts per serving: 320 calories; 14g total fat; 2g saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 640mg sodium; 39g total carbohydrate; 3g dietary fiber; 2g total sugars; 0g added sugars; 9g protein; 0% Daily Value vitamin D; 6% Daily Value calcium; 20% Daily Value iron; 8% Daily Value potassium