Slow Cooker Fajitas
Put in the slow cooker in the morning and come home to dinner!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced lengthwise into strips
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 medium bell peppers*, any color or variety
- 1 medium onion*
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 6 (8-inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas
- Place chicken in a medium-size slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, chili powder, black pepper and garlic powder. Sprinkle seasoning over chicken.
- Remove stem and seeds from bell peppers and peel from onion. Slice peppers and onion into¼ inch strips
and add them to slow cooker, covering chicken. Pour tomatoes and green chilies over veggies.
- Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on high heat for 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and let it cool slightly. Use two forks to shred the chicken. Add shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and mix with the peppers and onions.
- Serve in tortilla with optional toppings if desired.
*Two (12 to 14 ounce) bags of frozen fajita mix vegetables may be used in place of fresh bell peppers and onion.
Optional toppings: cheese, cilantro, guacamole, lettuce, salsa, sour cream
Nutrition facts per serving: 220 calories; 4.5g total fat; 1.5g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 50mg cholesterol; 600mg sodium; 26g carbohydrate; 69 fiber; 7g sugar; 23g protein; 10% Daily Value of vitamin A; 100% Daily Value of vitamin C; 2% Daily Value of calcium; 10% Daily Value of iron
*Nutrition facts do not include optional toppings